About the program:
Our Cardiac Reconditioning Program is designed to improve patient’s confidence and independence with daily tasks, exercise tolerance and to educate patient’s following a cardiac event or surgery. Through our comprehensive rehabilitation service our Cardiac Reconditioning team will develop an individualised cardiac management plan tailored to your needs.
Who can benefit from this program?
Patients who have recently had cardiac surgery, or who have been in hospital for, or require management of cardiac illness/disease.
Our team is experienced to handle all forms of heart conditions. If you have recently had a cardiac event, hospitalisation or new diagnosis or if you require reconditioning as a result of your pre-existing heart condition, or your cancer treatment (Cardio-oncology) then you are eligible to join our program.
You can be referred by either your Cardiologist or GP following:
- Heart Attack
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation (and other arrhythmias)
- CABG, Stent or Angioplasty
- Heart Failure
- Pacemaker or ICD Implant Valve Disease or Valve Surgery
- Cardio-oncology Type II DM
We will liaise with your Cardiologist and GP throughout your program.
The program aims:
Each patient is assessed individually by our rehabilitation team under the direction of an accredited Rehabilitation Specialist, who will develop a rehabilitation plan according to the individual’s particular needs. Our multidisciplinary team will work with each patient to help them regain independence and resume their day to day life.
The aims of our Cardiac Reconditioning Program include improving:
- cardio-vascular fitness
- general muscle strength and flexibility
- physical, psychological, and social recovery
- cardiac illness/disease and reducing it’s progression
- lifestyle and reducing risk factors
- successful return to work, home and recreational activities
Our team will work in collaboration with you, your GP and other specialists to achieve a holistic assessment and integrated treatment regime dedicated to minimising the effect of disability.
This program may include:
- Group or 1:1 physiotherapy with graded activity aimed at progressively increasing general strength, endurance, functional and mobility
- Occupational Therapy focusing on retraining safe self-care techniques, organising equipment and ensuring safe home set up for discharge
- Social Work as needed to organise services for discharge
- Dietetics involving education about eating for heart health
- Information about medication management
Members of our experienced multidisciplinary team include the following health professionals:
- Rehabilitation Physicians
- Cardiac Specialist Nurse
- Exercise Physiologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Social Workers
- Clinical Pharmacists
The hospital at present offers a large choice of boutique suites with your own bathroom, or a private room with bathroom. Plus, our new renovation for completion 2021 brings our patients ALL huge luxury private rooms with de-lux ensuites, a new Library and more common areas including kitchenettes for visitors and our patients comfort and featuring the spectacular water views of Manly Cove. We have two well-equipped Gyms and a heated Hydrotherapy Pool.
Access our referral form here